Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sometimes life on the farm can be challenging…especially when wildlife is involved. Yes, all God’s creatures have their own personality and charm, but living amongst them is not always so much fun. Especially when it’s a skunk.

For those that haven't experienced the lovely smell of a skunk, let me tell you, it's not fun. Our new neighbor sprayed everyday, sometimes several times. The smell permeates anything in it's path. Your eyes and nostrils burn, your clothes and hair take on the smell and you can't breathe normally. Needless to say, it's no walk in the park.

We have been looking for the skunk that, of course hide under the shop for about a month or so. Every morning when I got up, you could tell that we'd had a visitor, a smelly one at that. So, I did some research to find out how to get rid of him/her. During my search, I found some mistruths about skunks. Those that blogged about their knowledge of skunks must have never dealt with a country skunk.

Myth one, skunks cannot climb....False! I stood at by back porch and watched him climb up the deacon’s bench to get the cat food. I placed the food higher thinking that he couldn’t climb. The next advice was to trap him and take him out in the country to free him. Well, I already live in the country. Should I reverse it and take him to the city to set him free?

By the time my son finally located his habitat, which happened to be in the basement of our shop...and yes, he could climb stairs…we'd been sprayed way too many times. Needless to say he has been relocated…Could he be in your Yard?

No comments:

Post a Comment