Sunday, July 5, 2009

Craziness Ensues


Life on the farm is always interesting, you just never know what's going to happen next. I personally like that you can't always predict the craziness that is the life of a farmer. For one, it makes for great stories to pass on to others. 

Picture it, Washington, GA June 20, 2009. Mom and I were leaving the Harmony Crossing Farmers Market when my phone chimed to let me know I had a new message. I checked my text messages to find a picture, the one above, from my brother. I looked at the picture and immediately called my brother to find out the story behind it. 

My brother was bringing the tractor from one of the pastures to the house...He needed to add air to one of the front tires... When he got home and walked around the tractor, he found a deer antler in one of the back tractor tires. The antler punctured the tire in three places. Yes, three places. 

We were all surprised by this. I for one, thought the antler should have broken instead of puncturing the tire. For the antler to be able to create three holes, it had to be laying just so. I guess it was our lucky day!

So, the tire had to by plugged in three places and the water tube inside the tire had to be replaced. It wasn't cheap or an easy fix...but we were back in business the same evening. It just goes to show that you can never predict or control the craziness that is the life of a farmer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment